Click to Home

Go To Search

Historical Sites
Sequim Opera House
Location: 119 N. Sequim Ave.

Located in the heart of downtown Sequim, the Sequim Opera House served to quench the creative thirsts and entertainment needs of area residents for many decades. Built in 1906 by Austin Smith and opened the following year by prominent area entrepreneur Charles Franklin Seal, the two-story structure with retail space on the ground floor and a second-level auditorium with stage was the site of musical events, concerts, dances, school graduations, film screenings, public meets and civic gatherings. It remains one of Sequim’s oldest commercial buildings and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
Present Day Sequim Opera House
Photo by Renee Mizar, Museum & Arts Center in the Sequim-Dungeness Valley.

Grain Elevator
Location: 531 W. Washington St. Sequim

Strategically positioned near the railroad tracks that once sliced through town, the old Clallam Co-Op granary has provided a distinctive notch to the Sequim skyline for decades. The former grain elevator, which operated as such from the mid-1940s through the mid-1970s, has been home to the Mexican restaurant El Cazador since the early 1980s. The structure now also serves the area as a multi-purpose communications tower.
Sequim Grain Elevator
Photo by Renee Mizar, Museum & Arts Center in the Sequim-Dungeness Valley.

Railroad Bridge Park
Located: 2151 W. Hendrickson Rd.

Constructed by the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway in 1915, this 600-foot railroad trestle spanning the Dungeness River was part of a railway that transported both passengers and freight across the North Olympic Peninsula. Now part of the Olympic Discovery Trail, the bridge is an integral part of the 28-acre Railroad Bridge Park, which was dedicated in 1992 and is home to the Dungeness River Audubon Center, in partnership with the Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe and the River Center Foundation. The Dungeness River Bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. For more information, visit www.dungenessrivercenter.org.
.Engine 217 shown pulling a load of empty flatcars with one loaded at right on Sequim's historic railroad bridge.
Engine 217 shown pulling a load of empty flatcars with one loaded at right on Sequim's historic railroad bridge. Image from the J. R. Williamson Collection, Museum & Arts Center in the Sequim-Dungeness Valley.

Port Williams / Marlyn Nelson County Park
Location: End of Port Wiilliams Road

Boasting a long wharf, hotel, post office and store operated by the enterprising Bugge family at the turn of the 20th century, little remains of the once thriving commercial port of Port Williams. In 1944, the waterfront area was renamed Marlyn Nelson County Park in honor of Sequim resident Marlyn Wayne Nelson, who at age 19 died from injuries sustained in the attack on Pearl Harbor while serving on the USS California. A monument bearing his name and photograph was erected at the one-acre park, which is operated by the Clallam County Parks Department, in 1999.
Historic Port Williams
Image from the Herrett Collection, Museum & Arts Center in the Sequim-Dungeness Valley.

Dungeness Schoolhouse
Location: 2718 Towne Rd. (Dungeness)

Built in 1892, this two-story rural schoolhouse first opened its doors in February 1893 under the leadership of one instructor for more than 60 students ranging from ages 5 to 20. The school continued in operation until 1955, when Dungeness School District No. 29 consolidated with Sequim School District No. 323. The Dungeness Community Club and Women of the Dungeness saved the building from ruin in the years to follow, eventually purchasing the property and overseeing its preservation into the mid-1990s. Today, the schoolhouse, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, is owned and operated by the Museum & Arts Center in the Sequim-Dungeness Valley and is available for rent for widespread community use. Additional information is available at www.macsequim.org.
The Dungeness Schoolhouse, shown after its 1921 remodel.
The Dungeness Schoolhouse, shown after its 1921 remodel. Image from the Bert Kellogg Collection, donated by Margaret and Dan DeWitt, Museum & Arts Center in the Sequim-Dungeness Valley.

New Dungeness, Washington Territory Historical Marker
Location: Corner of Marine Drive and Clark Road (Dungeness)

This historical marker briefly chronicles the history of New Dungeness. It was erected by Michael Trebert Chapter NSDAR, on May 8, 1965, on land donated by Margaret (Cline) Bigelow that was part of the original Elliot Cline land patent. Cline, who platted the town site of New Dungeness and for whom the nearby Cline Spit was named, was one of the first settlers of the area, having arrived in 1852.
Washington Territory Historical Marker
Photo by Renee Mizar, Museum & Arts Center in the Sequim-Dungeness Valley.

New Dungeness Light Station
Location: Dungeness Spit, Sequim

Operating since 1857 at the tip of Dungeness Spit, the New Dungeness Light Station was the first lighthouse built in the Washington Territory. Once towering 91 feet, the upper portion of the light station’s brick tower was removed due to deterioration in 1927 and is now 63 feet. Living quarters were added and modified over the ensuing decades to accommodate lighthouse keepers, who often lived at the light station with their families, and an armored marine cable brought power to the light station in 1934. The light station and 80 acres surrounding it were designated a National Historic District and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. The following year, the New Dungeness Light Station Association, a volunteer non-profit organization, formed and assumed control of the light station from the U.S. Coast Guard. For more information about the New Dungeness Light Station, visit www.newdungenesslighthouse.com.
Historical photo of New Dungeness Light Station
Historical photo of New Dungeness Light Station.